Sign In Forgot Password

Czech Torah

This Sefer Torah comes from the town of Trebic in the former Czechoslovakia, having been scribed in 1900. It was saved from the Nazi destruction of Europe and kept by the Westminster Synagogue in London, England. It was received by our congregation and dedicated on Rosh Hashanah 5735, September 17, 1984. The scroll rests in our Aron Ha-kodesh (Holy Ark) alongside our congregation’s other Torah Scrolls. It is removed, held, and paraded in the sanctuary regularly: on Simchat Torah, on Kol Nidre, and is held by newly converted Jews as they recite the “Shema Yisrael”. In addition, we have passed down that scroll and read from it in those years when we host the Marblehead Ministerial Association’s annual “Covenant Service.”


Fri, May 24 2024 16 Iyar 5784